Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Melbourne Cup Day in Dongara

Today being the first Tuesday in November is the day the famous Melbourne Cup is run. Now I know in Melbourne we all stop to look at the call of the race, in fact it 's a public holiday there. They (whoever they are) say it's the race that stops the nation. But it wasn't until today that I have realized it really is the race that stops the nation. Even though the shops etc. were open they must have been running on minimal staff because they were all dressed up in their finery and making a day of it at the various pubs in the area. When the race was being called everyone stopped what they were doing and just watched the 3200 metre (2 mile) race being run. This year a horse called Fiorente won, which is an Irish born horse and is trained by Gai Waterhouse who is a bit of a racing favorite. I'm not a huge horse racing fan, but I like to watch the Melbourne Cup. After watching the race I headed out to do some exploring while Shane stayed at the pub. He loves horse racing and today turned out to be quite profitable.

Lime Green suite with a t/shirt and thongs - good look

Some just came straight from work
I actually like walking around old cemetery sites and reading the headstones. In Dongara cemetery the first white woman to die in Western Australia is supposedly buried, but I couldn't find her grave. There was also a tiny grave that was just a mound of dirt and covered with little boys toy cars. It was very sad and I just couldn't bring myself to take a photo of it. I would like to know why in days gone by they put metal fences around the grave site. I've tried googling it but can't find the answer. If anyone knows why, I would love to know.
 
The main street of Dongara is lined with some magnificent Moreton Bay Figs

I love looking at the ocean when it is rough

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.