Monday, January 11, 2010

I Promise Myself

My Self-Promises



I have always believed and bought my children up to believe that a promise is one of the most important words in the dictionary. Once you make a promise, that is it, it is set and cannot be broken. That is why to get the best value out of your promises, make them to yourself and believe that they are real and have already happened. Your life will be so much richer and joyful to know that your best friend (you) has made you a promise that she will keep.


I Promise Myself.......................


To be strong enough that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.
To make all my friends feel that there is something special in all of them.
To look at the sunny side of everything and make my optimism come true.
To live in the present, not the past or the future – THE PRESENT.
To be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own.
To forget the mistakes of the past and press on to greater achievements.
To wear a cheerful countenance at all times and give every living creature I meet a smile.
To give so much of my time to the improvement of myself that I have no time to criticize others.
To think well of myself and to proclaim that fact to the world not loud in worlds but in great deeds.
To live in the faith that the whole world is on my side so long as I am true to the best that is in me.
To make my own choices and decisions.
To choose the way I live and give priority to my desires.
To be flexible and open to change in every aspect of my life
To embrace the ordinariness of life, and make it a special experience in itself.
To use all negative experiences as chances to learn, evolve and grow, instead of letting them embitter me.
To be patient with others and also with myself.
To choose happiness whenever I wish, no matter what is happening around me
To take responsibility for everything I create in my life.
To allow my emotions, thoughts and challenges to lead me to deeper places within myself.
To be gentle and nurturing to myself, say only kind things to myself.
After all I am my own best friend.
To allow myself to love and be loved.


Davine Pitcher




7 comments:

  1. Davine: I just love you and your thoughts. What a lovely way to start the week with positive thoughts from you. I promise that I am going to look at things differently because I found a lovely bloggy friend who posted just what I needed when I needed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is certainly a fine and high-minded list, and I wish you the luck and strength to see it come true in 2010 and at all times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Davine
    Thank you for sharing all these thoughts.
    They are so personal, & yet those sentiments are so right.
    I also believe you should never promise unless you are 100% certain you can deliver.
    Also tried to instill that into my daughter during her upbringing.

    Keep cool! Here we need to keep warm at the present. More snow predicted for tomorrow.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that seems like a long list. However, many of the promises may involve aspects of the same self-awareness. I wonder how many of these could be equated with the Ten Commandments. Now, I am not a religious person. Not in a church-going redemptive sort of way. But I think there is something to the 10C. They are a distillation of moral pathways that have been followed by centuries and hold fast no matter the religion or irreligion.

    Self-knowledge is such a crucial thing. If we can truly know just one person, we have the capacity to know everyone. To understand the anger and the destruction, the bitterness and the hurt. We we cannot bear to look within ourselves, we are incapable of fully knowing anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Davine,

    This is very beautiful! Your promises are something that we all should aspire to.
    The world would be such a wonderful place!
    Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen to that Davine! I too am an avid believer in promises and if nothing else I hope that I have passes on to my children that a promise is a promise no matter what transpires in life!

    Very lovely promises, some of which I try to live by as well!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments.