Sunday, January 12, 2020

What to do with old x-rays?

Happy New Year everyone. I can't believe I haven't posted since October last year.
Amongst other things I've been getting my house ready to sell this year.
Today I tackled some miscellaneous stuff that was being stored in the linen closet. One was a very big pile of old x-rays. While I'm doing a lot of clearing out I'm trying to do it as environmentally friendly as I possibly can, so now what to do with these x-rays?
After a bit of googling I've found out a lot about X-rays that I never knew.
X-rays are perfect to recycle as they contain silver in the form of halides. X-ray films can be processed in a refinery in temperatures over 1,000 degrees Celsius. The silver is extracted and converted into a pure form of silver. The extracted silver is used to make jewellery, solid silver, silver plating of utensils and electrical components.
They can also be used by crafters to make templates for patchworkers, stencils and lots of other pieces of art by clever creatives.
So now what am I going to do with the heap I have?
I am going to keep a few to make some into stencils. The rest I am going to take to be recycled. I know in my area, Nillumbik Shire will accept them at the Recycle and Recovery Centre and they can also be taken to Evandale Farm for recycling.
It certainly is a great feeling knowing that when you need to dispose of something it can be recycled in some way.

What to do with old X-rays?

On the new house front I'm in a holding pattern at the moment. There is now a fence up in front of my block while all the infrastructure is being put in place all over the estate. So with all this work progressing closer to my block I now have a hill where my house will be.

I have a hill !!

#my2020journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.