Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hanging Out

Shane and I had a wonderful day in the city today, as usual I had my camera with me,
so I took full advantage of some great Melbourne sights.

The Public Purse: Situated in Bourke Street Mall, Melbourne the “Public Purse” was created in 1994 by artist Simon Perry. It is made out of Calca red granite and stainless-steel sculpture.

In January 1994, the City of Melbourne called for design submissions for unique and distinctive forms of street seating. Simon Perry's The Public Purse was one of the works selected. In creating The Public Purse, Perry was interested in making an object that would work both conceptually and poetically, while still addressing the context of the site. The Public Purse engages with its environment through its clear reference to the commercial nature of the area. Perry says of this red-granite sculpture that it 'signifies an interaction between the city and citizens, the public and the private'. Looking like nothing less than an oversized dropped purse.

Free Music: This guy had the most amazing guitar I have ever seen, it looks like it has been carved out of a branch. His music was very intriguing with the mix of guitar and didgeridoo.

For lunch we had lunch a place called "Grill'd". It was the best burger and the
crunchiest chips I have ever had.

"Davine Time" update: Spending time with Shane just hanging out.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful day, Davine. You sound relaxed and happy in your post. Thanks for the info about the Public Purse - I didn't know that! And, How Cool is that guitar?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant day out! This is just what you need!
    The Public Purse is excellent! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that purse. I have tried sitting on it but find it a bit slippery! But the idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That purse is amazing, what a cool concept. Awesome way to spend your day Davine, fun in the city with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful time, i truly love Melbourne and miss my old haunts...
    I bet its changed so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all I did have a great day.
    Michelle - That guitar was really amazing.
    Shirleyanne and Julie - Yes the purse is pretty cool and yes very slippery.
    Darlene - I know I confuse everyone, it was Shane partner not Shane son.
    A'isha - Yes there would be some changes but still alot the same.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments.