Saturday, November 28, 2015

Nan Tien Buddhist Temple

We are currently at a place called Windang which is a suburb of Woolongong. It's not that this is a happening place to stay, although it is quite pretty as its situated on Lake Illawarra. But my reason for wanting to stay here was because its only 15 minutes from the Nan Tien Temple. A number of years ago while driving back to Melbourne from Queensland I saw this magnificent building off in the distance. From that day I have been telling myself I will get here to visit one day. Unfortunately I couldn't do the tour as this is the one Saturday they weren't conducting it, but I was still able to spend time there and soak up the beauty and peace this magnificent temple exudes. Nan Tien Temple is one of the branch temples of Fo Guang Shan, founded in 1965 by Venerable Master Hsing Yun. "Nan Tien" in Chinese, literally means "Paradise of the South" and is the biggest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere.

Nan Tien Temple

The Nan Tien Gratitude Bell - The Gratitude Bell is to acknowledge
 the gratitude we have for our parents and ancestors. 
Yes it is the year of the monkey

The Pagoda as a storm brews in the background over Woolongong
This smiling Buddha greets you as you drive in the temple driveway





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your comments.