Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Derby to Broome

We arrived in Broome safe and sound yesterday. We were lucky to be leaving when we did as a lot of people couldn't get from Derby to Broome as the road was closed due to two raid trains having a head on collision on a one way bridge.  Apparently one didn't wait until the other was off the bridge before going across. Both vehicles burst into flames, so it was very lucky no one was killed although one of the drivers was injured. One of the road trains was carrying live cattle and we heard that about 20 of them had to be put down. When we drove over the bridge the council were burying something (I presume dead cattle) and assessing the damage to the bridge. But we are now in our home for the next four night. we are staying at a bush camp called Broome Gateway about 20kms out of Broome. It's really nice and peaceful, great amenities block, huge fire pit, lots of room. Only downfall it has no power, so I am writing my blog as quickly as I can. We decided to stay here for 4 nights to really just chill out before heading into the very busy Broome. Although last night we did head into Broome to see Staircase to the Moon. It was crazy there were so many people, but the show the moon put on was absolutely amazing. The natural phenomenon of the Staircase to the Moon occurs when the full moon rises over the exposed mudflats of Roebuck Bay at extremely low tide creating the optical illusion of a staircase reaching up to the moon. The staircase only occurs three nights each month between March and October. I am please with the shots I got but they certainly don't do  justice to this amazing sight.
The crowds to see the Staircase to the Moon were huge!!!
They all came very well prepared too.

The colours in the eastern sky at sunset were spectacular.

The Staircase to the Moon was an amazing sight. Next time I will set up my tripod.

1 comment:

  1. LOVING your observations, Davine! I hadn't thought about the crowds at Staircase to the Moon and would have been shocked if I'd turned up to heaps of people. Although, thinking about it, I probably should have realised that something so beautiful would attract the tourists. Thanks for all the beautiful sunsets and sunrises you have shared ~ inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your comments.